This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

husband/wife advise

flip
husband/wife advise

Postby flip » Mon Jan 12, 2015 3:27 pm

Hi looking for best way forward please

I own five rental properties. all mortgage, old properties which require lots of maintenance and support to tenants.

all are just registered in my name so i have always declared the income but paid my husband to maintain them as he was a self employed.

he will no longer be self employed so should i keep his self assessment going just for the rentals work

or

should i change all the properties to joint ownership (can i then Inter-Spouse Transfers?) then do the accounts for the properties and just divided any profit between the two of us?

Niether of us work outside of this so only have pensions to consider.

any thoughts would be very welcome
thanks

GlobalTaxAdviser

Re: husband/wife advise

Postby GlobalTaxAdviser » Mon Jan 12, 2015 5:32 pm

Hi

I certainly would register the property in both names from a income and capital gains tax perspective.

Kind Regards

Sash

King_Maker

Postby King_Maker » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:37 pm

All mortgaged or all mortgage free?

flip

Postby flip » Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:41 pm

All of the properties hv mortgage

King_Maker

Postby King_Maker » Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:05 pm

You would need to review any inter-spousal transfer for SDLT implications - and CGT implications if any of the properties had been a home.

Also, mortgage interest relief may be restricted to the borrower's altered share.

Return to “Property Taxation”