This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Stamp duty on transfer between spouses?

greenjersey
Stamp duty on transfer between spouses?

Postby greenjersey » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:07 pm

If my wife very kindly transfers the ownership of her BTL property to me will I be liable to pay stamp duty? Thanks

Peter D

Re: Stamp duty on transfer between spouses?

Postby Peter D » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:06 pm

Potentially yes. It depends on the size of the mortgage, if any. Has your wife ever lived in the property. If she has then she will loose PPR and Letting relief. Best tell us the whole story. Regards Peter

greenjersey

Postby greenjersey » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:36 pm

Thanks for responding. my wife bought the property new four years ago and lived in it for two years then has let it for two. It is currently let on an AST. The value hasn't increased much over this time as she probably overpaid as she was very keen.

greenjersey

Postby greenjersey » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:38 pm

I forgot to say the value is about £250k and she has a £120k mortgage. I plan to give her the equity and take over the mortgage.

King_Maker

Postby King_Maker » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:40 pm

Was she unmarried when she bought the property?

Return to “Property Taxation”