This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Stop and Restart

vector
Stop and Restart

Postby vector » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:43 am

Can I at the outset thank all those that take part in imparting with their time and valuable advice.

Can I ask if you rent a property and you have losses and then move in and thereafter restart letting - are the previous losses rolled over after the gap ?

Thanks in advance

pawncob

Re: Stop and Restart

Postby pawncob » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:40 pm

No. When the business ceases, the losses are lost.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/pimmanual/PIM4210.htm
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

DCF

Postby DCF » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:19 pm

Where a rental business consists of letting property it will normally cease when the taxpayer disposes of the last of the properties they are renting out or, alternatively, they begin to use all the properties for a non-business purpose. For example, if the business only consisted of letting a single house, it would cease when the tenant left and the taxpayer began to use the house as a private residence or, alternatively, when they decided the house wouldn’t be re-let.

Peter D

Postby Peter D » Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:45 pm

Why did you move into the property and for how long. Did you still own another private residence that you lived in. Regards Peter

vector

Postby vector » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:01 pm

Lived with my parents - movedIin for a couple of years .
could not afford it so moved back :roll:

Return to “Property Taxation”