This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Extra stamp duty

LozaACCS
Re: Extra stamp duty

Postby LozaACCS » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:01 pm

Maths
Would you mind advising the statutory authority for the 7 year condition you referred to

maths

Postby maths » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:03 pm

Hi Loza

Draft legislation proposal to insert into FA 2003 after Sch 4: Sch 4ZA Part 2 para 2(4).

LozaACCS

Postby LozaACCS » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:07 pm

Many thanks

devon

Postby devon » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:32 pm

On reading your post from the beginning your problem stems from your ownership of a buy to let flat. Could you consider initially moving into your flat which would then become your primary home; and in due course sell it and acquire a more suitable primary home.

It would depend on how long you would need to reside in your flat for it to be officially deemed your primary home. It might well be just a short period. Perhaps a more knowledgeable contributor could enlighten you on the required period of residence.

devon

Postby devon » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:39 pm

On reading your post from the beginning your problem stems from your ownership of a buy to let flat. Could you consider initially moving into your flat which would then become your primary home; and in due course sell it and acquire a more suitable primary home.

It would depend on how long you would need to reside in your flat for it to be officially deemed your primary home. It might well be just a short period. Perhaps a more knowledgeable contributor could enlighten you on the required period.

devon

Postby devon » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:15 pm

if you move into your buy to let flat it becomes your primary residence as a matter of fact. Be sure that you move in "lock stock and barrel" ( i.e. really move in and change bank accounts. driving licence passport and similar key documents to the address of your flat) . Once physically installed in your flat, and your key documents changed to your new address, it is instantly your primary home. You are than free to sell it and replace it with a home of your choice without the burden of the extra £10,000 stamp duty. Its perhaps a chore but the outcome is £10,000 less stamp duty.

VictoriaJones254

Postby VictoriaJones254 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:33 am

Hello,
I know this is doesn't answer the question you have posted but I am a third year University Student doing a dissertation on Stamp Duty Land Tax.

I would be very grateful I anybody viewing this forum would take 5-10 minutes out of their time to answer my Survey.

The link for the survey is https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/28GXGHZ

If anybody has any questions or further information please feel free to contact me by email which can be found on the first page of the survey.

Thank you in advance!

Return to “Property Taxation”