This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Holding Company to acquire property

Holding Company to acquire property

Postby 170872 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:41 pm

I'm not sure how much of an easy question this will be to answer but I'm hoping that one of you can help me out as I've asked a few people now including my bank manager and few accountant but neither seem to be sure of the best way to proceed.

If 3 properties each worth 350K (mortgage free) is in a limited company with 2 directors (A & B) and A is a 82 yers old is a major shareholder in the Ltd company.
Can A set up a holding company 100% owns by her and transfer the property to holding company by share swap? My understanding is there wont be any stamp duty and CGT as it is a transfer between group companies.

The intention being that Director A is 82 years old lady and Director B is young and he may take over everything if something happens. It hasten to add, I don't see this being a likely scenario but I want to ensure that her only daughter is protected in the event of a worst case scenario one day. Her only daughter is mentally ill and in nurshing home.

What will happen to the old company? will it be Dormant then? Can A then close the old company? What will happen to Director B?

Thanks in advance for your help.

section 44

Re: Holding Company to acquire property

Postby section 44 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:25 pm

My understanding is there wont be any stamp duty and CGT as it is a transfer between group companies.
what group?

Postby 170872 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:51 am

Sorry I mean transfer to the holding company and both company are connected

Chanmuganathan

Postby Chanmuganathan » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:01 pm

"Can A set up a holding company 100% owns by her"

Which ever way you describe, in essence, B dispose his shares in business to A, then why bother setting up a holding company and transferring the properties?

There are capital gain tax consequence for B.

Postby 170872 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:12 pm

Hi Chanmuganathan thanks for your reply.

A is the 100% shareholder in the company, B is just a director. If A set up a holding company and the holding company acquires A's shares inthe Ltd company can she achiever her objective

Return to “Property Taxation”