This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

income tax from rental properties

mikeF00
income tax from rental properties

Postby mikeF00 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:30 pm

Hi, is it possible (and legal) for my partner to officially take the income from my property in order that i pay less tax?. I earn more than her, and the extra income just pushes me in to the higher tax bracket.

any advice, much appreciated.

Mike

jpcentral

Re: income tax from rental properties

Postby jpcentral » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:46 am

Simple answer - No.

There is probably a more complicated answer where ownership is transferred but way beyond the scope of this forum.
John Perry
Central Business Services
Loughborough
http://www.centralbusiness.co.uk

Rambler

Re: income tax from rental properties

Postby Rambler » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:24 pm

If you had said spouse rather than partner, the answer is the same as JPcentral, but there could be a reasonably straightforward way to enable a different answer.
The transfer of assets between spouses (only) would enable the property to be owned jointly (or maybe held as tenants in common) and the rental income would then be allocated 50/50 and taxed in the same proportions.
So a partial answer you (maybe) were looking for is one of relationship and not purely tax!
There is more that could be added, but that would be professional and chargeable in nature.

Chris at WWW.slaneyandco.co.uk (Chartered Accountants (01623627617)

Return to “Property Taxation”