This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Income Tax or Capital Gains Tax?

businessmind
Income Tax or Capital Gains Tax?

Postby businessmind » Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:23 am

I have a number of buy to let properties that I hold personally, I have only ever bought and not sold. I purchased another at the start of the year which I planned to renovate (work carried out by a contractor) and let out. There was more work than I first thought and having now completed the work I am thinking it might be better to sell given the market value is favourable and rental yield low relative to this.

I have found a party that is willing to rent the property for a period of 6 months before buying it, and I have offered to return the rent paid as a gifted deposit at completion.

My question is will I pay CGT or income tax on profits from the sale?

bd6759

Re: Income Tax or Capital Gains Tax?

Postby bd6759 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:20 am

As long as the evidence points to be it being acquired as an investment, it will be subject to CGT.

Return to “Property Taxation”