This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

kitchen & widows in rental properties and the tax return

maysantech
kitchen & widows in rental properties and the tax return

Postby maysantech » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:21 pm

I am in a process of filling my tax return for year 17-18 which is related to income from my 4 let properties. I have no mortgage on them and the rental income for year 17-18 is £37330. However, the repair and maintenance totaled £19500 which include the renovations of two kitchens in two properties (£8945) and replacement of set of UPVC double glazed windows in one property (£2075) and fitting new laminating flooring in tow properties (£2612). All those repairs were necessary to let the properties based on the feedback I received from prospective tenants who viewed the properties when they were advertised for rent last year. Both properties were marketed for several weeks and despite the large interested (approximately 4 – 5 viewings a week) there was no takers due to the status of the properties. The kitchen floor of both properties were rotten and needed repairs. Kitchen unites were broken and dysfunctional. the quote to replace the damaged unite and the doors from B&Q were higher then replacing the whole kitchen. All the units were obsolete/discontinued and B&Q no longer make them . The first generation double glazed windows in one property were hard to operate (they open in different directions which cause confusion to previous tenants who used force to open and close them which resulted in damaging very complicated hinge systems which left them steamy and drafty. It was cheaper and easier to replace than repair. The laminating flooring in both properties were rotten and dis engaged from their locking mechanisms and deemed to be health and safety hazard.
I need help with the following please:-
1-can I claim all the abov agines the rental profit
2- if yes to question 1, shall I claim them under repair and maintenance section or any other section. I am half way throught filling my tax retern and when I enter 1£9500 in the field of repair and maintenance, HMRC online form did not accept it giving an error saying that this figure is highe in comparison to the total rental incom (£37330)

bd6759

Re: kitchen & widows in rental properties and the tax return

Postby bd6759 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:14 pm

Sounds like a repair to me.

The system is not giving an error, it is just highlighting a high figure to ensure that you check it.

maysantech

Re: kitchen & widows in rental properties and the tax return

Postby maysantech » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:51 pm

many thanks for the advise bd

Return to “Property Taxation”