This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Tax incurred on selling property

AnnMM
Tax incurred on selling property

Postby AnnMM » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:40 am

I am in the process of selling my property. The house has a large unconverted barn with a pre-application planning consent.

The house and barn are being marketed in three ways: house and barn plus five acres, house plus three acres and the unconverted barn with two acres.

I would like some advice on potential tax implications if the house and barn are sold separately.

maths

Re: Tax incurred on selling property

Postby maths » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:17 pm

If you have lived in the house whilst you have owned it then any gain attributable to the house will not be subject to CGT.

The issue then arises as to whether the barn/surrounding land could also be treated as referable to the house and any gain thereon also fall not subject to CGT.
Based on the post it does seem that possibly very little of any such gain will escape a CGT charge (per the legislation broadly gain arising on one acre).

It all depends upon how much of the surrounding land could be said to be relevant to the enjoyment of the house.

SteLacca

Re: Tax incurred on selling property

Postby SteLacca » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:31 am

To add to maths reply, if the house and the barn are sold separately then that pretty much destroys any argument that the barn forms a part of the gardens required for the reasonable enjoyment of the property, and so will be chargeable to CGT.

Return to “Property Taxation”