This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Property Tax for ex UK Residents

gotlisch
Property Tax for ex UK Residents

Postby gotlisch » Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:57 am

Hi there,

I was a permanent resident in the UK for 10 years and currently own a property in the UK, which was my primary place of residence while I live in the UK. I've since migrated to Australia and have been renting for the last 4-5 years but recently purchased a property here (again to live in).

I wanted to understand what the tax implications are for me once I sell my UK property, CGT, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Paul

SteLacca

Re: Property Tax for ex UK Residents

Postby SteLacca » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:49 pm

You'll pay CGT on the increase in value since April 2015 after deducting costs of sale. You will need to complete an NRCGT Return and pay the CGT within 30 days of conveyance.

gotlisch

Re: Property Tax for ex UK Residents

Postby gotlisch » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:54 pm

Thanks for your reply, that online with what I expected. Just out of interest, if the property has lost value since 2015 (which is quite possible) is there any implications/tax deductions that can be made. Also, what about money that I invested into the property renovating it, cost of purchase etc?

Cheers,
Paul

Return to “Property Taxation”