This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Additional Property SDLT Refund when paid by seller

sammyuk
Additional Property SDLT Refund when paid by seller

Postby sammyuk » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:31 pm

I'm in the process of buying my second property and therefore liable for the additional 3% SDLT. I'm thinking of negotiating with the seller (developer) to pay the additional stamp duty.

Will I be able to claim a refund on the additional 3% SDLT it in the future (when i sell my first home) even though it was originally paid by the seller? Couldn't get an answer HMRC without writing a letter to them :roll:

maths

Re: Additional Property SDLT Refund when paid by seller

Postby maths » Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:41 pm

Presumably either (1) the vendor drops the price you pay to purchase the property by an amount equal to the 3% charge leaving you to pay it
or
(2) the price remains at the amount the vendor wants but over an above that he agrees to settle the 3% charge.

Under either option you are in a position to reclaim the 3% from HMRC. Under (1) you clearly paid it; under (2) the liability for the 3% is yours albeit the vendor agreed to discharge it for you (either he transfers cash to you to pay or at your request he pays the cash to HMRC directly).

Return to “Property Taxation”