This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Shared Property - tax transfer

Jaspal10
Shared Property - tax transfer

Postby Jaspal10 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:49 pm

HI

I own 50% of a property (inherited from Grandparents)

The property is Mortgaged in two names and the rent is paid into a joint account.

Whilst the property is 50 % in my name, my share is split between myself and my sister (this an agreement between ourselves)

My question is can i formalise this agreement (without adding her to the deeds) so that the rent (& subsequently tax) is split between us.

And in addition can i split the my tax burden between myself and my wife.

Thanks

AGoodman

Re: Shared Property - tax transfer

Postby AGoodman » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:16 pm

Yes, you can make a declaration of trust that you hold your 50% as to 25% for your sister, 12.5% for you and 12.5% for your wife. Ideally, but not necessarily, this deed would be made by both the joint owners and cover the full 100%.

What is the current position? If your sister already in fact owns 25%, she may already be liable for income tax on her share of the rent.
This is also very important for CGT. If she does not own 25% now, and you are giving/selling it to her, you will be making a CGT disposal of the 25% at deemed market value and any gain vs the probate value will be subject to CGT.

Jaspal10

Postby Jaspal10 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:22 pm

HI AGoodman

The current situation is that my sister owns 25% (though we have never formalised this agreement)

As of the 2017/2018 tax year she has been receiving her 25% share of the rent.

For the two years prior I was receiving 50% of the rent (I have paid the income tax on this).

Given that I now only receive 25% i want to make sure that I only pay income tax on my share.

Who would be the best person to go to in order to draw this trust up?

Thank you in advance

Jaspal10

Postby Jaspal10 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:49 pm

In addition Myself and my uncle currently own the property as tenants in common (50:50)

AGoodman

Postby AGoodman » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:33 am

It's a simple declaration of trust, any solicitor could draw it up.

You need to be clear about how your sister came to own 25%. If you gave or sold it to her at some stage then it would have been a CGT disposal.

Jaspal10

Postby Jaspal10 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:14 pm

Thank you AGoodman

The property was inherited but was only transferred to me - From that point onwards my intention was to always split it with my sister so when it is eventually sold proceeds will be split accordingly

Return to “Property Taxation”