This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

declaration of trust and CGT

petergibbinson
declaration of trust and CGT

Postby petergibbinson » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:14 pm

I purchased an investment property in Jan 2012 (mortgage free) - join names with my wife (50:50 ownership)
The property was then changed to 99% beneficial ownership to my wife and 1% to me via a declaration of trust (in 2014) via a solicitor, and form 17 filled out and accepted by the HMRC. Rental income then split 99% and 1% for tax purposes.
Property then sold in 2018 and capital gains tax due on the profit - how do I apportion this? - simply in the 99%/1% ratios? Or do I apportion for time that it was 50% vs 99%/1%?
What about the costs (e.g stamp duty and solicitors fees, estate agents fees)? Do I split these 50%/50% for the period before the declaration of trust - or are all costs treated 99%/1% ? i.e when we purchased it the stamp duty was 50%/50% - or do we split those costs 99%/1% even though the declaration of trust didn't exist when the property was purchased ?

AdamS93

Re: declaration of trust and CGT

Postby AdamS93 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:53 pm

You split it based on the beneficial ownership so 99%/1%.

The costs are split on the same basis. You effectively sold the majority of your share in the property to your wife at nil gain/nil loss in 2014.

Return to “Property Taxation”