This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Tax on jointly owned property

TomNelson
Tax on jointly owned property

Postby TomNelson » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:27 pm

My wife and I started renting our property out in July 2018. We are first time landlords and the arrangement will only last for a few years at which time we will return to live in the property.

Before renting it out we contacted solicitors and completed a transfer of equity and declaration of trust and relevant land registry forms. The ownership is now 99% my wife, 1% me. We filled in Form 17s and had confirmation and acknowledgement back from HMRC about the different levels of ownership of the property.

I am a higher rate tax payer from paid employment. My income from property will be about less than £200 per annum. I have no other income other than my job. Do I even need to fill in a tax return? My wife does a low paid part-time job, the income from her 99% share of the property will push her above the is a £11,500 tax threshold for the first time. She will need to do a tax return. Is that right that only one of us does a tax return on a jointly owned property?

Advice would be appreciated please.

pawncob

Re: Tax on jointly owned property

Postby pawncob » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:09 pm

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/tax-free-allowances-on-property-and-trading-income
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Return to “Property Taxation”