This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Tax repayment possible?

LostInTaxation
Tax repayment possible?

Postby LostInTaxation » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:45 pm

Hello

I let out a flat I used to live in for roughly the 2015/16 tax year. I submitted returns for the 2014/15 year (as the tenancy started in this year) and have done ever since. Every year I have made a substantial loss for different reasons, except for 2015/16 when I had to pay against the profit I had made. My issue is that I have made losses ever since, not had any tenant in place because the first set were dreadful, and so decided I won't let the flat out again. I'll instead sell it as soon as possible (Brexit uncertainty is making this difficult).

Is there any way I can claim the tax payment from 2015/16 back, as it was a substantial amount of money and the losses since more than outweigh it? Perhaps through amending the 2016/17 return before the 31st this month?

Or should I just submit another return up to the point it was no longer available for rent? My understanding is that I can only roll forward the losses and use them either against profits from another rental property in my name or against capital gains tax?

Please let me know what you think I can do!

Many thanks

bd6759

Re: Tax repayment possible?

Postby bd6759 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:55 pm

Your question is a little confusing, but you seem to have answered your own question.

Losses are carried forwards, not backwards. So your 2016-17 loss cannot be used againsrv2015-16 income.

The loss cannot be set against CGT. It is lost once your rental business ceases.

LostInTaxation

Postby LostInTaxation » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:18 pm

Could you clarify what you find confusing please?

Does anyone have any other thoughts?

darthblingbling

Postby darthblingbling » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:30 pm

You cannot carry back losses from a property business

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:42 am

Might just ne me. I found it difficulty to follow the question.

You seem to be saying that you have made losses whilst not actually having a property business. Expenditure you incur on a second home can only create a tax loss if it is incurred in the course of a property business.

But in any event, you are correct to say that allowable loses are only carried forward (not backwards), and then only set against future profits of the same business that caused them.

LostInTaxation

Postby LostInTaxation » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:14 am

No, the losses have been genuine - I effectively had to gut the flat after the tenants left it in an awful condition and the contractor took a very long time to sort it out. Appreciate this is an unusual situation.

Given the costs the tenants caused me, I don't know why I cannot reclaim the tax, as the "profit" I gained from them was almost non existent in the end.

So it seems that the tax payment is lost forever, unless I rent out the flat again and use it to offset future income. The only issue I was unaware of was claiming capital allowances (my mistake for mixing this with CGT), but I doubt this helps as I couldn't go back to HMRC and say I should have claimed this in 2015/16 and had a lower tax bill at this point, can I?

LostInTaxation

Postby LostInTaxation » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:15 am

You cannot carry back losses from a property business
Carry back? What does that mean?

Return to “Property Taxation”