This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Property Ownership

Mason1880
Property Ownership

Postby Mason1880 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:38 pm

I’ll try and keep this simple, I own a property in my name. Wife owns a property in her name and we own one in joint names. Whilst owned as above, we deal with everything between the 2 of us.

I’m higher rate tax payer and my wife is lower rate.

Previously as profit has been minimal a tax return in my name only has been completed.

Moving forward we will complete a return each. However we currently put all income and expense in one account and don’t apportion specific expense to a specific property, instead just add up the expenses and deduct accordingly.

My queries are:
1. Should we apportion specific expenses to specific properties.
2. With my wife being lower rate, I’m assuming the property she owns should remain like this without a deed between myself and her?
3. The property I own has a deed of trust of 50/50, would a greater split require form HMRC 17(?) to be completed?

It’s easier to bring all expenses and income together and then half between us for the tax return however conscious we may be paying too much tax and apportioning better whilst being more work may be better?

pawncob

Re: Property Ownership

Postby pawncob » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:57 pm

Your return should only include income and expenses from your sole property and half the joint property. Same for your wife.
If the property you own has a 50/50 split, then your return should include 25% from that property and half from the joint property. Are you sure this is the position?
Any change from equal would require a form 17 submission.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Mason1880

Re: Property Ownership

Postby Mason1880 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:33 pm

The best position is therefore to for my wife to keep her property solely as hers. The other 2 we complete a deed so that it is owned 50/50?

Return to “Property Taxation”