This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Cellar conversion (new property) private residence

Derektimms00
Cellar conversion (new property) private residence

Postby Derektimms00 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:48 am

Hello

I would be grateful for your advise.

I own a leasehold flat including a cellar which is my personal residence since July 2017.

I plan to convert part of the cellar into a 1 bedroom flat. I would surrender my existing lease allowing formation of two new leases , 1 which will remain my private residence and the other (1 bed cellar flat) which would be sold.

I understand that the new lease for my private residence will not incur CGT, however for the new 1 bed cellar flat CGT on the gain will be applicable and calculated as below, is this the correct approach?

Existing flat
Bought £475k
Unconverted Value £650k
Refurbished costs £100k

1 Bed cellar flat
Bought £0k
Value £300k
Conversion costs £220k

CGT would be 75*/ 950k x 220k = £17k less annual allowance.

*(650-100-475)

If you have any questions please let me know.

Kind regards,

Derek

bd6759

Re: Cellar conversion (new property) private residence

Postby bd6759 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:16 pm

Building a house might be construed as a trading activity and liable to income tax, not CGT.

Return to “Property Taxation”