This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT on previous Main Residence

DaveH22
CGT on previous Main Residence

Postby DaveH22 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 10:36 am

My Wife is part owner of a property she shared with her ex until 6 years ago. It’s about to be sold.

I own the house we currently live in as I bought it before we married. (That’s not a big deal and we’ll probably organise joint ownership in the not too distant future.

The house she and her ex is selling was purchased for £29,950 in 1989. An extension was added which cost £6000. The house will sell for c. £140k.

Will she end up paying full CGT on her part of the sale or will this be pro-rated for the 6 years she hasn’t lived there (out of 30)?

pawncob

Re: CGT on previous Main Residence

Postby pawncob » Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:32 pm

Yes she can claim PPR relief for the period it was her main residence, so the gain will be c £52k less relief of £43k, which is below the annual exemption.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

DaveH22

Postby DaveH22 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:32 pm

That’s great, thank you.
So, by implication, there is no need to reference the transaction on a return?
The reason I ask is that she doesn’t normally have to complete one.

pawncob

Postby pawncob » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:01 pm

Most wouldn't bother.
https://www.accountingweb.co.uk/any-answers/do-sale-of-pprs-need-declaring-on-tax-return
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

DaveH22

Postby DaveH22 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:48 pm

Excellent, thank you ☺️

Return to “Property Taxation”