This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Property Management Company

Matt2008
Property Management Company

Postby Matt2008 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:11 pm

Hi there - my wife and I have various BTL and commercial properties as individuals. We have a property management business (limited company owned by my wife) which collects the rent for the residential property and charges commission. It is not registered for VAT because the turnover is under £85k. We are thinking of setting up a separate business (also a limited company in my wife's name) to manage the commercial property. Is there any reason why this wouldn't be acceptable? We will deduct the commission as an expense in our self assessment returns and leave the money in the companies. They will both be genuine businesses

jerome.lane

Re: Property Management Company

Postby jerome.lane » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:44 am

There is a risk that HMRC will view the two entities as one composite business and consider that VAT should be accounted for across both businesses. I assume there are reasons you have not considered incorporating one or both businesses and that you have no direct interest in the management company.
Jerome Lane
Tax Adviser
Telephone: 07943 005902

Return to “Property Taxation”