This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Old BTL property

JAY123
Old BTL property

Postby JAY123 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:44 pm

Hi guys,

Just need some advice.

I am 65 years old and retired. I have an old property in my name that I bought for £25k back in 1990 that we as a family lived in for 11 years until we moved to our current house in 2001. The value of the property is around £140k now and has been let out for the last 11 years.

I want to pass this old property on to my son and his wifes name, can I simply just add them on to the deeds of the property and not worry about any tax issues or can I just transfer the property in to there names? What tax issues do I/my son and his wife have to think about? I am a little confused about all of this.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Jay.

robbob

Re: Old BTL property

Postby robbob » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:12 pm

There is potential chunky capital gains tax due if you dispose of this house or part of this house.
The tax rules are changing 6/4/2020 - so its likely that any disposal after that date will result in materially increased capital gains tax (unless we have change from current plans in march budget).
Basically from 6/4/2020 your lose the very valuable letting relief and also have reduced ppr relief from 18 months down to 9 months.
this is presuming its a normal disposal by you subject to gain being taxed based on current market values.

So its probably worth taking specific advise in this regard - i would guess if you need to do transfer and must take the tax hit , then doing so before 6/4/2020 might be your best bet - from a tax efficiency point.

There may be / probably are other "fancier" options in this regard which may be available to transfer assets to others without this problem - i will leave it for others to comment on any more tax efficient ways to transfer property to others without triggering default capital gains tax.

maths

Re: Old BTL property

Postby maths » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:13 pm

A back of the envelope calculation gives rise to a CGT charge on your part of around £3,600 or possible £5,600.

The fact that you are gifting the property does not prevent a CGT charge arising.

The above figures assume a disposal on or before 5 April this year; thereafter as Robbob points out your liability will increase quite a bit.

From the CGT perspective it would make sense to continue to hold it and pass it on under your will; then no CGT charge arises.
For IHT purposes, it may still make sense to leave it by will; this will depend upon if you own/live in another property and the aggregate value of your estate and if you are married.

Return to “Property Taxation”