This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Income from tenancy in common

nasser186
Income from tenancy in common

Postby nasser186 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:17 pm

Hi all,

I have a question, and I appreciate if someone help me on this. I am working, but my wife does not work and has no income. We want to buy a BTL property with tenancy in common. Say 50% me, and 50% my wife. Can I somehow dedicate all the rent to my wife as if it is her income, so we can benefit from income tax allowance?

Thanks,
Nasser

pawncob

Re: Income from tenancy in common

Postby pawncob » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:59 am

Yes. You'll need to complete Form 17.
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/income-tax-declaration-of-beneficial-interests-in-joint-property-and-income-17
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

maths

Re: Income from tenancy in common

Postby maths » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:19 pm

Assuming the legal title is registered in joint names an appropriate declaration (using Form 17) can be made under which the rental income reflects the respective beneficial interests.

The % of rental income must be in line with the corresponding beneficial interests. Thus, beneficial ownership as tenants in common, say, 50/50 means rents must be split 50/50 (it cannot, for example, be 80/20, 30/70 etc).

Therefore if wife is to receive 100% of the rental income she must own 100% of the beneficial interest (you owning 0%).

Form 17 merely records the facts and must be filed with HMRC.

Return to “Property Taxation”