This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Stamp Duty on Gifted BTL Property

Sak81
Stamp Duty on Gifted BTL Property

Postby Sak81 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:21 pm

Hi All

Would like some advise please.

I own a BTL property with 2 of my siblings (so 3 owners in total).
The property is owned in equal shares (i.e. 33.3% each).
One of my siblings wants to dispose of his share in the property by gifting it to me and my brother.
The property has a mortgage of £335K.
Both me and my brother have second homes.

Questions
1. Given the property has a outstanding mortgage, is the stamp duty calculated on the full amount (£335K) or on the share that is being gifted (i.e. 1/3 of £335K = £111K)? 
2. Given me and my brother own other properties, is the stamp duty rate based on the normal rates or the surcharge rates? I assume surcharge rates but i am asking the question given i already own a share of the property and this is a gift rather than a purchase.

Kind Regards

jerome.lane

Re: Stamp Duty on Gifted BTL Property

Postby jerome.lane » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:16 pm

You will be assuming the finance so each of you will be liable to SDLT at 3% on £55,833 or so. The seller will also need to consider CGT.
Jerome Lane
Tax Adviser
Telephone: 07943 005902

Return to “Property Taxation”