This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

FHL - pre - trading expenses - allowable

chorne1966
FHL - pre - trading expenses - allowable

Postby chorne1966 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:03 pm

Hi I'm not sure if this should be dealt with under Income Tax or Property so I've plumped for property but can move if required.

I have an existing furnished holiday let which has been trading for several years. I am just putting together the figures for this for my annual self assessment return (no pressure there then!) I have also established from Oct 1 2019 a second FHL. Going through the figures for the first FHL (18/19) there were certain items such as a sofa and other furniture that was brought in 18/19 for the second property prior to the start of trading in October 2019. Having read the HMRC guidance in https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/property-income-manual/pim2505 it does suggest that where a business ie my FHL business is already established then the purchase of furniture could be included as an expense despite the letting of this 2nd property occuring until Oct 2019 and obviously in the following tax year (19/20).

Any thoughts would be much appreciated?

Regards

Chris

Return to “Property Taxation”