This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Allowance for property repair

Zebturner
Allowance for property repair

Postby Zebturner » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:15 pm

Hi, I own a half share of my mums old house which my sister and I want to rent out. 2 questions.

1. Do we each get the £1000 tax allowance on half the income.

2. I need to repair the garage roof which is hanging off and is made from asbestos, I assume this will be an allowable expense so the £3000 we need to pay will come off the income too eg 6000 income from rent for the year = 3000 each to me and my sister -1000 allowance each - half the cost of the repairs so -1500 = 500 income for the year but... what if I have it repaired early feb and no tenant till april(next tax year) can I still deduct the cost of the repairs. Theres no tenant in this financial year.

Thanks for any help

Eddy

maths

Re: Allowance for property repair

Postby maths » Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:21 pm

1. Does your sister own part of the property?

2. Have you/sister let the property out before ?

3. The property allowance (£1,000) is available to each of you. However, you cannot claim the £1,000 and the £1,500.

Return to “Property Taxation”