This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Pre-trading expenses

Kimbo
Pre-trading expenses

Postby Kimbo » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:33 pm

I have bought a flat on the 7th of February to put on the short term holiday let market. I am doing a huge amount of renovation, like for like. My question is I probably won’t have the property on the market to let until after the tax year ends in April 2019-2020. Can I use my receipts from the renovation for next years tax return 2020-2021? Should I do a tax return for this year in April?

Jholm

Re: Pre-trading expenses

Postby Jholm » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:10 pm

Possibly but a breakdown and more detail would be needed. For a furnished holiday letting (assuming it qualifies for tax purposes), you can claim capital allowances. I would strongly advise you appoint someone to act for you. It could save you thousands.

Return to “Property Taxation”