This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

A long back story

greenjersey
A long back story

Postby greenjersey » Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:49 pm

Hi, Please be tolerant as I am out of my depth here. In 1990 I bought a BTL property as joint tenants with my wife for £80,000. In 2002 the property was transferred to my sole name. It was let until 2015 when I moved in alone. However we are still very much married and a couple. The current value is about £400,000 so a CGT liability. Firstly am I right in thinking if I pre-decease my wife ( almost certain) and she inherits the house there will be no CGT liability if she immediately sells the house ?
Now this is the part where my brain starts to hurt! Would it make sense if I gifted my wife a share in the house as joint tenants? I have a mortgage of £75,000 having taken out a new mortgage (at 72!) to fund an house deposit for my daughter. Any advice on stamp duty liability appreciated also. Thanks for reading.

SDLT Geek

Re: A long back story

Postby SDLT Geek » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:23 pm

A gift of a share in the let property would not trigger a charge to stamp duty land tax. Even allowing for the full amount of the debt counting as chargeable consideration, the amount will be below the £125,000 threshold.

The full £125,000 applies even to a let property, as the “higher rates” do not apply to a transfer between spouses who are living together.

maths

Postby maths » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:10 am

The key to avoiding an SDLT charge on gift to wife is that there is no doubt that you are a married couple and are not permanently separated such that the separation is likely to be permanent.

Were you to be married but treated as separated and assuming wife already has a beneficial interest in another property then the 3% higher rate charge would apply to the gift assuming also that wife accepted responsibility to a % of the outstanding mortgage.

As the SDLT guru and indeed the SDLT Geek do you agree?

SDLT Geek

Postby SDLT Geek » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:26 pm

I agree with maths.

maths

Postby maths » Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:54 am

That's a relief !!

greenjersey

Postby greenjersey » Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:44 pm

Thanks for the helpful advice which has raised another query! To my simple mind if I gift my wife half my house that is fairly strong evidence that we are not permanently separated but would HMRC take such a simplistic view? My wife is the beneficiary of my will, I see her every single day. Will HMRC be spying on us? How do I prove our admittedly unusual status?
Thanks

Return to “Property Taxation”