This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Buy to let repayment mortgage tax

Dmr295
Buy to let repayment mortgage tax

Postby Dmr295 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:15 pm

Hi, I have purchased a house on a capital repayment mortgage as this is somewhere I plan to live in a years time. The mortgage is £830/month and I can't remember the exact split but let's say £500 is interest and £330 is capital. I have tenants moving in this week who will be paying £900/month and agents fees are £35 a month. What will my tax obligations be, I'm getting confused with what my profits are and what will be taxable income. There is also the property allowance I've seen although need some further advice. I earn £51k in my job so am just in the HR band. Please can someone advise on my potential tax liability so I can set this aside.

Thanks

D&C

Re: Buy to let repayment mortgage tax

Postby D&C » Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:39 pm

Based on what you have posted from 6 April 2020 your monthly profit is £865.

From 6 April 2020 you can no longer claim finance costs such as the interest as an expense.

You may well be able to claim a tax deduction (based on your example) worth £1200 off your annual tax bill (£500 x 12 = £6000 x 20% = £1200) but that is a complex area and you really need to read up on residential landlord finance costs.

Claiming that tax deduction may mean you cannot claim the property allowance so you will need to weigh up which is more beneficial overall as it could be one or the other not both.

Return to “Property Taxation”