This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Transferring some properties to a limited company

deanh
Transferring some properties to a limited company

Postby deanh » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:38 pm

Hi, I had a question on the transfer of residential BTL properties that I hold, to a newly set up limited company. The 3 properties are valued in total at c.£200k and all mortgage free.

I was looking to take advantage of a free draw down against a director's loan account but my accountant advised that I might not be able to do that as a Share Premium account would need to be set up, and would stop me from drawing down rental profits tax free against a £200k director's loan account. I just wondered whether anyone has any experience on this and if my accountant's advise is indeed correct.

Dean

bd6759

Re: Transferring some properties to a limited company

Postby bd6759 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 6:41 pm

A share premium account is where you pay more for shares than their nominal value. For example, the company gives you 100 £1 shares in exchange for your property portfolio. If that happens, you have no director’s loan, but you have 100 shares worth ostensibly £200k.

If you sell your properties to the company for 200k, the company will owe you that amount. That is the directors loan. It is a debt from the company to you. The company repays the debt over time when it has the funds.

The company will need to pay 3% SDLT on the purchase.

You will be liable to CGT on the sale.

AdamS93

Postby AdamS93 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:26 pm

Your accountant is referring to incorporation relief to avoid the CGT on transfer.

I would suggest that 3 BTL’s would struggle to qualify for incorporation relief in the first place.

As mentioned above, the company would pay 3% SDLT and you would pay CGT on the sale.

deanh

Postby deanh » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:16 am

Thank you to both of you for your clear responses. I assume that the additional 4% charge will also be applicable in addition to LBTT or SDLT?

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 9:26 pm

Yes, but that depends on when this happens and the value of each property. The increased COVID nil rate will apply at the moment.

Return to “Property Taxation”