This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

using a property management company to reduce personal profits

yoda999
using a property management company to reduce personal profits

Postby yoda999 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:00 pm

Hi I own properties personally and have properties also owned by a company.

Can I use the company that owns rental properties as a property management company and charge management fees to personally held properties?

I believe that this is common but Inland Revenue may challenge arrangements. It is more robust if you also manage 3rd party properties but I do not wish to become a letting agent with associated costs and requirements of doing so.

Any advice on this to ensure that management fees can be charged or is it best to avoid this?

Thanks.

bd6759

Re: using a property management company to reduce personal profits

Postby bd6759 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:21 pm

You can’t just charge a management fee. The company must provide some service. What services do you think the company will provide?

yoda999

Postby yoda999 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:24 pm

same services as a letting agent - sourcing tenants, drafting leases, organising repairs and maintenance, ensuring compliance is done when due etc

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:23 am

As long as the company charges a market rate it should be OK.

Note that this will be trading income rather than property income for the purposes of the accounts an tax returns.

Return to “Property Taxation”