This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Stamp duty

oldenss
Stamp duty

Postby oldenss » Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:01 pm

I have a question regarding stamp duty on my next purchase
1: I bought property A in 2007 and it was my only property which i lived in
2: I bought property B in 2009 and then rented out property A and lived in property B
3: I sold property B in 2020 and have temporally moved back to property A
4: I am now in the process of buying a new property C and will move into that after some refurbishment

I would like to know if I will have to pay the higher stamp duty rate on my new purchase of house C? I am aware that when property A is eventually sold I will have to pay capital gains tax on the proportion of the time it was rented out. These properties are in Wales

Thanks in advance

SDLT Geek

Re: Stamp duty

Postby SDLT Geek » Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:15 pm

As the property C you are buying is in Wales, it is Land Transaction Tax which is in point. The 3% extra LTT should not apply as within the 3 years before your purchase of property C you disposed of Property B which you had (again within 3 years of buying Property C) lived in as your only or main residence. It does not matter that after selling property B, you moved into property A which you already owned.

oldenss

Re: Stamp duty

Postby oldenss » Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:51 am

Thanks.....this is what I thought and it makes sense.....

Return to “Property Taxation”