This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Property being purchased in Children's names

Matt2008
Property being purchased in Children's names

Postby Matt2008 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:32 pm

Please could you help. I would like to buy a property (in cash) to let. The property would be owned by my children (aged 12 and 15 who already own £15k each through other sources. Is the best approach to set up a company of which I am a director, with my children as the shareholders. I wouldn't take a salary as a director and I am happy to lose control of the property when the children are 18. Or would a bare trust be better?

maths

Re: Property being purchased in Children's names

Postby maths » Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:43 pm

Company route probably not the best option.

Bare trusts are simple and involve little administration.
If you're happy for minors to take income/capital at age 18 then no drawback re use of bare trusts.

Rental income will be subject to income tax on your part at your rates but tax paid can be reimbursed from the trust.

Other options might be a discretionary trust or interest in possession trust.

Return to “Property Taxation”