This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Property Flip - Deed of Trust

businessmind
Property Flip - Deed of Trust

Postby businessmind » Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:30 pm

I wonder if someone might be able to provide a view before I appoint a professional advisor.

My partner (we are not married) is looking to buy a property to refurbish and sell on with money she has inherited (no mortgage).

She lives with my in a house which I own in my sole name without a mortgage and she doesn't own any other property so buying the investment property in her sole name makes sense to avoid the 3% additional SDLT charge.

If she bought it in her sole name for say £120k could she immediately implement a Declaration of Trust to gift me say 30% (£36k), which would be under the £40k threshold for the 3% additional SDLT charge?

I don't currently work (no taxable income) so could assist with the refurbishment and my thinking is that if it was then sold for say £160k (£40k profit for argument sake) my share of that profit (£12k) would fall within my personal income tax allowance. If it did not sell and was rented instead I would then benefit from a share of the rental, again within my person tax allowance, and potentially from my CGT allowance if sold at a later date. Does that make sense or have I missed something?

Very many thanks in advance.

AGoodman

Re: Property Flip - Deed of Trust

Postby AGoodman » Wed Dec 02, 2020 10:31 am

I can't immediately see anything wrong with that.

The sensitive point is the SDLT, given you would be paying the additional 3% if you were a joint buyer from the off.

However, I don't think that is a significant risk assuming you're not providing any of the purchase price when your partner buys.

businessmind

Re: Property Flip - Deed of Trust

Postby businessmind » Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:41 pm

Thank you very much for the reply.

Return to “Property Taxation”