This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

SDLT exemption on property transfer to ltd company from personal name?

starry809
SDLT exemption on property transfer to ltd company from personal name?

Postby starry809 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:52 pm

This is my first post so my apologies if this has already been answered or if I've posted it in the incorrect forum.

I personally own the freehold of a mixed use property consisting of a retail unit & 2 residential flats. (This is an additional property to my main home). I have been advised to create 2 leases for the flats and transfer these 2 units into my LTD Company for ease of raising finance in the future as well as inheritance tax purposes for my children.

My accountant informed me of another client of theirs that did a similar transaction but did not pay any SDLT due to some exemptions. I have tried contacting the solicitor involved but have not had any success.

Is anyone able to confirm or explain to me if there are any exemptions for my situation?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

AGoodman

Re: SDLT exemption on property transfer to ltd company from personal name?

Postby AGoodman » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:03 pm

Don't know about the SDLT i'm afraid but I also query whether there is any IHT saving from transferring the flats into a company. Holding the flats won't be trading so not eligible for business property relief and if your company is currently trading (and so might qualify for BPR), it would risk losing it by taking on investment assets.

Return to “Property Taxation”