This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT on disposal of commercial lease

samlock
CGT on disposal of commercial lease

Postby samlock » Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:58 pm

I require the calculation of Capital Gains Tax for the disposal of the beneficial interest of a commercial property lease I own ( a retail property with residential uppers).

The lease was included in the purchase of a business (going concern) I purchased about 35 years ago and only 5 years remain on the lease. I have sub-leased the property on FRI terms for an income of approx £35k per annum. I would like to to get an idea on the CGT I would need to pay.

AGoodman

Re: CGT on disposal of commercial lease

Postby AGoodman » Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:30 pm

If you have sub-let for a rent then I don't see that you have disposed of any asset. You still have your lease and you are receiving the rent as a result of it. It's just like letting out a freehold property.

samlock

Postby samlock » Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:37 pm

I intend to gift the beneficial rights to income for the lease so it will count as a disposal for CGT I believe.

maths

Postby maths » Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:44 pm

There are both income tax and CGT implications on the grant of a short lease out of a short lease.

There is a part disposal.

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:40 pm

Chapter 5A ITA 2007 (ss809AZA-809AZG). It's income tax you need to worry about. It's not easy to transfer income streams.

Return to “Property Taxation”