This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Selling a flat for less than market value

ROB047
Selling a flat for less than market value

Postby ROB047 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:17 pm

Hello,
I'm looking into selling a property via a quick sale, cash buying company. I've noticed when calculating CGT on property, one of the questions asked is 'Am I selling the property for less than the market value to help the buyer?'
My main objective is to sell the the property as quick as possible. To my mind if it helps the buyer its consequential rather than intent but not sure if HMRC will believe or accept that and obviously this can make a huge difference in CGT liability. Does anyone have any advice

Thanks in advance.

maths

Re: Selling a flat for less than market value

Postby maths » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:44 pm

MV only imputed for CGT if the sale is not a "bargain at arm's length".

Assuming that you and the company are not connected in any way and you're not receiving anything over and above the cash then CGT charge would be based on the actual consideration you receive.

Return to “Property Taxation”