This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Repair or Refurbishment

WINDSURFER
Repair or Refurbishment

Postby WINDSURFER » Sat May 08, 2021 2:06 pm

Hi All
I have a rental property (flat) which has a bathroom water leak to the property downstairs and various problems have been repaired several times. I have now been advised by the property management maintenance team that the bathroom is beyond repair and needs a total refit ( suite, tiles, flooring) to guarantee the leaks are resolved.
The maintenance team have also advised that the kitchen is 'falling apart' beyond reasonable repair and also needs to be replaced. Both kitchen & bathroom are original & almost 40 years old.
My question is whether the bathroom & kitchen refits are considered to be non tax deductible renovations or deductible repairs as I have no choice but to replace them both.
Thanks for any advice.

Jholm

Re: Repair or Refurbishment

Postby Jholm » Mon May 10, 2021 8:56 am

As a general rule, any renovations that are 'like for like' are allowable.

Modernisation alone does not mean it is disallowable.

If you totally revamp and reimagine the kitchen/bathroom and take it far beyond what would be expected for it's modernised counterpart, then it would be deemed capital.

pawncob

Re: Repair or Refurbishment

Postby pawncob » Mon May 10, 2021 11:01 am

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/property-income-manual/pim2030
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Return to “Property Taxation”