This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

siblings owning property

JamesBennett1981
siblings owning property

Postby JamesBennett1981 » Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:22 pm

Hi all - I have a client who purchased a property with their sibling. They subsequently moved out of the property and sibling lives there with their family. Are there any tax implication for the self-assessment with one of the siblings living in the property and pay half the mortgage and the other sibling not living there but paying half the mortgage?

AGoodman

Re: siblings owning property

Postby AGoodman » Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:55 pm

Can't think of any.

There isn't any income and nor are there any transfers of value. They are both paying the mortgage under an obligation to the bank and there is no rent foregone for inheritance tax purposes as there is no legal obligation to pay rent to the sibling not in occupation.

JamesBennett1981

Re: siblings owning property

Postby JamesBennett1981 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:25 am

Thanks, AGoodman, I just look at it and it doesn't seem right, but like you, I could not think of any self-assessment tax implication as there is no income being received.

Return to “Property Taxation”