This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Declaration of Trust

Peter Prentice
Declaration of Trust

Postby Peter Prentice » Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:37 pm

Does owning a property (not land) by way of a declaration of trust make it ineligible for Principal Private Residence relief?

AGoodman

Re: Declaration of Trust

Postby AGoodman » Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:35 pm

I'm not sure what you mean by "not land" - I presume you are talking about a residential property rather than, say, a piece of furniture.

If the trust is a regular bare trust whereby person A (or A+B or A+B+C) are registered owners but hold the land for A, A+B or others then the owner of a share of the property under the declaration can benefit from PPR - they do of course have to qualify in that the property must be their principal private residence.

Generally, tax will look ignore a bare trust such as this and treat the beneficial owners as the owners.

Peter Prentice

Postby Peter Prentice » Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:10 pm

Many thanks for this. Pretty well answers my question I think. Thanks again.

maths

Postby maths » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:11 pm

For interest, what did you mean by "...owning a property (not land)...." ?

Return to “Property Taxation”