This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

COVID and new FHL business

Brightonian
COVID and new FHL business

Postby Brightonian » Fri Nov 19, 2021 4:39 pm

I am aware that new FHL businesses which haven't been able to trade because of COVID cannot claim FHL treatment or make a period of grace election because they haven't met the FHL requirements in the past. My clients, a married couple, bought an FHL as a going concern. The plan was that most of the income would be allocated to H, who has little income and would manage the property - W has a full-time job. Unfortunately their business began just as COVID got going. The property was not let at all during 2020/21 but the local authority paid a number of grants to H alone (although the property is owned 50/50) My problem is that, because the lettings will not be FHL, the profit has to be split 50/50, which is not to W's advantage. It's a longshot I know but is there any possibility of allocating the profit wholly to H on the grounds that the grants were paid solely to him?

Return to “Property Taxation”