This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

UK tax liability from earnings abroad

qaboos5136
UK tax liability from earnings abroad

Postby qaboos5136 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:21 pm

I am currently working in the Middle East, have been since August 2019. Prior to leaving UK, I decided to rent out my flat through a High Street estate agent. I receive rental income minus agents fees, minor maintenance costs (as when required) undertaken by estate agent on my behalf, payable into my UK bank account.

In my Year 2019-2020 tax returns I stated my UK address in Box 2 of "Your personal details".

In my 2020-2021 tax returns:
1) should I now indicate my overseas address in Box 2 of the Returns even though I continue to receive rental income into my UK bank account. Or can I use my parents UK address, as I do receive posts from the estate agent and other organisations at my parents address.
2) I have savings in UK banks and receive dividends from UK companies, these mainly during my employment in UK before August 2019. The income from the savings and company dividends will still be entered in Box 2 and 4 under "Income" of the tax returns.
3) Being UK non resident since August 2019, my understanding is I am not required to declare my employment earnings abroad in the tax returns.

Appreciate your expert advice.

norapp

Return to “Property Taxation”