This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

French living in the UK receiving rental income from France

BlueCrab
French living in the UK receiving rental income from France

Postby BlueCrab » Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:35 pm

Hi,
I am French (born in France) living in the UK since 2003, I do not have the UK citizenship.

I have rental properties in France, which income is never sent back in the UK.
  • Do I need to pay income tax on these properties?
  • Does that make a different if my long term plan is to come back in France?
  • I guess I should answer no to the question "Were you unable to transfer some or all of your overseas income to the UK?", because I am technically able to transfer the income if I want to?
I think I am considered domiciled now since I have been living 15 years out of the last 20 and have to pay income tax on all properties abroad, but thought I should ask anyway.

darthblingbling

Re: French living in the UK receiving rental income from France

Postby darthblingbling » Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:24 pm

If you're a deemed domiciled as a long term resident then you'll be unable to claim the remittance basis. You'll need to declare the profits from your french rental property.

You should get an FTC for French tax paid however.

Return to “Property Taxation”