This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

BTL v Ltd Company BTL on Wife’s Property

caffe
BTL v Ltd Company BTL on Wife’s Property

Postby caffe » Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:21 pm

Hello

I am sure this question may have been asked before but wanted to get an up to date viewpoint on the following.

My newly wedded wife and I are about to buy our family home, we both have properties in our sole name.

1) My property originally joint owned with my ex-wife has had mix uses over the 22 yrs of ownership as PPR, then rented and for a period as my home whilst my divorce was finalised. The property is now let again under a standard BTL.
2) My wife has a property in name that we would like to keep as a long term investment. Originally joint owned with her ex husband and recently acquired 100% through transfer of equity.
3) We have found a family home which I know we will have to pay higher rate of SDLT

The question is how would one calculate the best cost option for tax on turning my wife’s property to a BTL ?
If we choose the LTD company purchase we would make both of us joint owners / directors

Also is there anything to consider regarding CGT on my property ? This property will be used half of the time by myself for when I am in London for work and weekends.

Return to “Property Taxation”