This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Tax relief on remortgaged BTL

guardog
Tax relief on remortgaged BTL

Postby guardog » Wed May 04, 2022 12:53 pm

Hi Everyone

Could someone please clarify for me the following which I read about and find a little confusing.

If you re-mortgage your outstanding mortgage with another lender, then you can still offset the interest repayments. Is that statement correct because as we all know to our cost that interest is a disallowable expense so how can remortgaging the same property for the same amout but with a new lender be an allowable expense.

Thanks in advance

Jholm

Re: Tax relief on remortgaged BTL

Postby Jholm » Wed May 04, 2022 2:04 pm

Because you still get basic rate tax relief (in most instances) on the mortgage interest, rather than a deduction from profits.

Generally, most basic rate taxpayers are no better or worse off because of this.

guardog

Postby guardog » Wed May 04, 2022 2:28 pm

Thank you for that and I understand that 20% tax it would make little if any difference however at 40% there is a difference. So my question is am I able to submit to the revenue having remortgaged and being at 40% tax rate the interest charged as a deduction from rents as it used to be in the good old days

Jholm

Postby Jholm » Wed May 04, 2022 3:46 pm

You would report the mortgage but it won't show as a deduction in your profits. Subject to certain potential restrictions, you will get the 20% relief on the amount rather than the 40%.

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Wed May 04, 2022 10:51 pm

Whether the loan interest would be allowable we’ll depend on the purpose of the loan.

Return to “Property Taxation”