This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CIS Registration Main Contractor Property Development

Heisenbert
CIS Registration Main Contractor Property Development

Postby Heisenbert » Thu May 26, 2022 1:56 pm

Hi all

Accountant in practice

Client of mine is a property developer - I'd advised he needs to register under CIS - all good on that front.

He's employing a main contractor who is a CIS registered contractor who is deducting from all the subbies. Main contractor is then invoicing property co.

Main contractor is not CIS registered as subcontractor and has been advised by HMRC and his Accountant that he doesn't need to be registered as subcontractor as he is not subcontracting in any way and not offering subcontract services. We've advised on gross status and he won't apply.

I've pointed out the risk to the developer but the main contractor is point blank refusing to register as subcontractor.

Am i missing something obvious here?

Return to “Property Taxation”