This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Inherited Property To Gift or Not

dinsdale66
Inherited Property To Gift or Not

Postby dinsdale66 » Sun Jun 05, 2022 2:39 pm

Hello. I inherited a property 9 years ago from my father, I couldn't access this as my aunt lived in it until her death in 2020, I have lived in the house and done it up over the last two years and am now looking to sell it. My problem is I never registered the property nor put it into my name as yet. If I did this and sold the property would I be liable to cgt as I have just sold another property with my husband which he lived in and we owned 50 /50. . The profit we jointly made from the house he lived in would be in total.£71k so my share £35.5k. The inherited house I currently live in I put down as £275k for IHT probate purposes and this could sell for around £300k. What would be the best option for me to take as I considered putting the house I inherited straight into my daughters name on the deeds and selling., but would that make her liable to profit on the whole £300k.( She doesn't currently own a property)

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated thank you 😊

AGoodman

Re: Inherited Property To Gift or Not

Postby AGoodman » Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:40 am

There's a whole lot of assumptions and facts to untangle there.

First, did your aunt have any right to live in the property?
Who is/are the executor(s)?
Have you been separated from your husband since at least 2020?
Did you make any major improvements to the property or was it all repairs/reinstatement? if the former, how much did you spend on them?

Return to “Property Taxation”