This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Property - Deed of trust

Jholm
Property - Deed of trust

Postby Jholm » Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:58 am

Hi all,

Is there any circumstance where income and capital from a rental property can be assigned to an individual via a declaration of trust WITHOUT this being an event for CGT purposes?

Having a respectful disagreement with a third party.

Thanks,

pawncob

Re: Property - Deed of trust

Postby pawncob » Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:35 pm

I can't think of any.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Jholm

Postby Jholm » Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:14 pm

Thanks PC.

The accountants used by the solicitors who drew up the deed seem to think otherwise, although I have had no reasoning from them to back that up.

It seems it would be too good to be true, a 'have your cate and eat it too' affair.

maths

Postby maths » Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:35 pm

If X owns property and executes a declaration of trust in favour of Y under which X transfers a beneficial interest in the property of say 30% to Y then in principle X has made a disposal for CGT purposes.

If however X and Y are married then there would not be a CGT disposal.

X could transfer an interest in the legal title to Y without any transfer of any beneficial interest. Again no CGT disposal arises.

Return to “Property Taxation”