This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Garage to rent

Raj123
Garage to rent

Postby Raj123 » Wed Jul 26, 2023 1:46 pm

Hi All,

I am thinking of renting my garage space as its not been used much.
Estimate income £1400 annually, property is in joint status with my wife.

My query is as the rental income would be shared between both of us our individual share would be £700 each, do I need to let HMRC know about this additional income or as its below the £1000 threshold its not necessary to declare.

Thanks

Jholm

Re: Garage to rent

Postby Jholm » Wed Jul 26, 2023 3:56 pm

From the horse's mouth:

If you own a property jointly with others, you’re each eligible for the £1,000 allowance against your share of the gross rental income.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/tax-free-allowances-on-property-and-trading-income#property

Jholm

Re: Garage to rent

Postby Jholm » Wed Jul 26, 2023 3:57 pm

(Meant to copy this extra line also)

If your annual gross property income is £1,000 or less, you will not need to tell HMRC, unless you cannot use the allowances. If it’s higher, you’ll need to declare your property income.

Return to “Property Taxation”