This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Main residence during divorce and CGT

meaty
Main residence during divorce and CGT

Postby meaty » Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:49 pm

Hello I have filed for divorce and we have a 2nd buy to let property. It is 2 bedroom, rented out to a single person and I have just moved in there into the second bedroom. Both properties are jointly owned. I want to sell it and buy a place closer to the marital home. Can the 2nd home be classifed as my main residence to avoid CGT? If so would i need to live there a minumum amount of time and what evidence would be needed?

pawncob

Re: Main residence during divorce and CGT

Postby pawncob » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:07 pm

The gain would be time apportioned, so temporary residence wouldn't make much difference.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:23 pm

More importantly, temporary occupation wouldn’t make it a residence.

meaty

Postby meaty » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:01 pm

Thanks. We have owned and rented it out for 10 years, does that mean I would need to live there 10 years myself in order to pay no CGT?

pawncob

Postby pawncob » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:27 pm

Depends on the figures involved. Living there for ten years would halve the potential CGT.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Return to “Property Taxation”