This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

To Loan or Not to Loan

MIKEL

Postby MIKEL » Fri Feb 14, 2003 12:00 am

I and my sister are in the process of inheriting our late Mother's house. If I we wished to raise capital ie Re-Mortgage say 25% of the property value to put towards the maintenance of the house and maybe towards a deposit on another for the sole purpose of letting would the interest on the re-mortgage /loan applicable to the inherited house be offsettable against tax.

Or would it as I suspect be only be offsettable against a new venture, ie different property that was indeed purchased by ourselves.

We would welcome your comments please.

Regards

MikeL

Ian McTernan CTA

Postby Ian McTernan CTA » Sat Feb 22, 2003 12:00 am

To the extent the funds are used to purchase another property to let, is allowable, and also to the extent the money is spend on refurbishing the exisiting property, can be set against the rental income from that property. If it is just taken and used elsewhere, then no.

Regards.

Ian McTernan CTA
email: ian@imcternan.com
McTernan Associates Ltd
Chartered Tax Advisers
Bedford
Email through link on website:
http://www.imcternan.com

Return to “Property Taxation”