This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

overseas property purchase

mwa

Postby mwa » Fri May 16, 2003 2:14 am

High rate tax-payer.UK property in joint names with spouse.With potential CGT in mind,is it more efficient to put the overseas property in single name(Spouse- standard tax payer)-property will be used for holidays and some rental in Spain....what is the most efficient way of structuring the purchase and will the rental income be more tax efficiently allocated to my wife?

DF

Postby DF » Fri May 16, 2003 4:09 am

I know of an arrangement where you can create the position where you can claim pinciple private reidence relief on BOTH properties.

This means, at a minimum that the last 3 years of ownership of the second home would be exempt from UK capital gains tax plus opens up the possibility of cliaming other related relief (e.g. letting relief).

This can be done without affecting the cgt exemption for you current home.

David

info@ssatax.co.uk

mwa

Postby mwa » Sat May 24, 2003 11:51 pm

David

Thanks for this.would be very interested to find out more about this.

What do I need to do?

DF

Postby DF » Mon May 26, 2003 11:34 pm

You need to make a PPR election within 2 years of buying the second property for your first home. This enables you to make a further PPR election at a later time on your 2nd home even for a very short time. You can then re-elct the first home as your PPR. The effect is that your second home has then had a period of being a PPR so it enables you to obtain the relief. A nice trick!

Return to “Property Taxation”